Split System Course FAQ
Units of Competency
- Safety glasses
- Cordless drill
- Risk assessments and tool box talks
- Cutting, deburring and flaring pipe
- Bending and brazing copper
- Pressure testing and vacuuming systems out
- Reclaiming refrigerant to a cylinder
- Mounting air conditioning indoor and outdoor units to walls
- Introducing refrigerant from a cylinder to simulate systems with extended pipe runs
- Get up to date with current regulations and standards
- Best practices to follow when installing splits systems
- Learn and understand the additional requirements when installing and decommissioning R32 systems
- Learn about drainage requirements for condensate water and best practices when using condensate pumps
- Care and maintenance of your tools and equipment
- The course is very comprehensive and covers off on all the practical skills you need to install and decommission a split system air conditioner up to 18kW
- Work with a single head split system air conditioners of less than 18kW cooling capacity
- Undertake installation, including running the pipe work of a single head split system air conditioner
- Introduce additional refrigerant when required on extended pipe runs during installation only
- Commission the system after installation is completed
- Undertake removal of refrigerant from the system prior to decommissioning
No. You will complete your online theory from home in your own time. It is self-paced and can be accessed anytime via your phone, iPad or computer device.
Once you have successfully completed all of your online theory, completed all tasks associated with the course and paid in full your certificate will be emailed and posted to you.
Can do work up to $3300 without any additional requirements. Work over $3300 requires a licence through QBCC which can only be obtained by a Cert III licence holder.
Students in Victoria are required to obtain a VBA Registration/Licence to carry out the work. There are two types of licences students can apply for with the VBA:
- Registration to work under an employer’s licence
- A licence to be a licenced practitioner. A licenced practitioner is able to certify their own work
Students in South Australia are required to obtain a CBS licence to carry out the work. There are two types of licences you can apply for with the CBS:
- Air Conditioning Installation limited to wall or ground mounted Split Systems
- Air Conditioning Installation (all air conditioning installation)
All plumbers, gas fitters and builders will need to undergo a 30 minute interview regardless of which builders licence is applied for.
Electricians can apply for Air Conditioning Installation limited to wall or ground mounted split systems without an interview, however will only be able to do wall and ground mounted split systems.
Electricians that apply for a builders licence for all air conditioning installations will be required to undertake a 30 minute.
Please note at this point in time all apprentices are not able to obtain a CBS licence until their apprenticeship is complete.
Students in NSW are required to hold a Certificate III in Refrigeration or work under someone who holds a Certificate III in order to carry out the work.
The Certificate III is an apprenticeship level qualification and not offered by Get Skilled Training. More information can be found regarding this at the NSW Office of Fair Trading.