You are currently viewing The Classes of Electrical Work Licences in QLD

The Classes of Electrical Work Licences in QLD

Working with electricity can be incredibly dangerous. But many trades need to know how to work with electrical devices safely as part of their normal workload.

In Queensland, there are 6 classes of electrical work licences. Each type of licence signifies that you’re sufficiently skilled and qualified to carry out certain types of electrical work.

The licences you’ll need for your day-to-day work depend on your training and the types of equipment you encounter. In this article, we’ll look at the 6 types of electrical work licence in QLD, as well as the 2 types of electrical contractors licence.

That should give you a better idea of which licences you need for your normal work!

In this article, we’ll learn who can test and tag electrical equipment in Australia, as well as how the requirements vary between states.

The 6 Classes of Electrical Work Licences in QLD

In Australia, you must be a “competent person” to test and tag electrical equipment. The simplest way to do this is to complete a UEERL0003 – Conduct in-service safety testing of electrical cord connected equipment and cord assemblies course with an RTO.

The actual requirements for testing and tagging vary between states. We’ve provided test and tag details for each Australian state below:


1. Electrical Mechanic Licence

An electrical mechanic licence is the type of licence held by most qualified electricians. It allows you to perform all electrical work, including:

  • Install overhead electrical lines
  • Change overhead electrical lines
  • Install electrical wiring
  • Repair electrical equipment

This is the type of electrical work licence you would need to provide general electrical installation, maintenance and repair services.


2. Electrical Linesperson Licence

An electrical linesperson licence is a specialised permit available to technicians that service mains power infrastructure. You may need additional training and qualifications to obtain a linesperson licence.

Hold an electrical linesperson licence allows you to carry out electrical line work, including:

  • Electrical work involved in constructing or maintaining overhead electric lines
  • Electrical work involved in constructing and maintaining street lighting that’s connected to overhead or underground electric lines
  • Testing overhead electric lines

This is the type of electrical work licence you would need if you wanted to specialise in servicing electrical infrastructure, including overhead and underground lines.


3. Electrical Fitter Licence

An electrical fitter licence allows you to perform work on certain types of electrical equipment. This includes tasks like:

  • Rewinding and repairing electric motors
  • Building and assembling a switchboard
  • Maintaining electrical equipment
  • Repairing electrical equipment

This is the type of licence you need to perform job roles such as electrical fitter, motor winder and electrical appliance repair.


4. Electrical Jointer Licence

An electrical jointer licence is a specialised licence that allows you to perform limited work that relates to electrical cables and equipment. This includes:

  • Jointing high voltage cable
  • Terminating high voltage cable

This is the type of licence you would need to perform roles such as technical cable jointers. Technical cable jointers are heavily involved in the installation, maintenance and repair of high voltage overhead and underground power lines.


5. Restricted Electrical Work Licence

A restricted electrical work licence authorises you to perform a limited range of electrical tasks. This type of licence is held by trades who are not qualified electricians, but who regularly need to perform some electrical work, such as plumbers needing to connect/disconnect hot water systems.

Restricted electrical licences specify which types of work you are authorised to perform. This depends on your trade and the types of electrical work you encounter from day to day.

Trades that may require a restricted electrical work licence include:

  • Air conditioning technicians
  • Motor rewinders
  • Electronic equipment technicians
  • Plumbers and gas fitters
  • Mechanical fitters
  • Instrumentation technicians

This is the electrical work licence you’ll need if you are not a qualified electrician, but you want to perform certain types of electrical work. These include testing and tagging, or disconnecting the electrical cabling from an air conditioning system when decommissioning.


6. Electrical Work Training Permit

An electrical work training permit is a restricted permit that allows you to perform electrical work while you are being trained.

This is the type of permit you need to hold if you are undertaking an electrical apprenticeship or undertaking training as part of a restricted electrical licence During the training period, any work you carry out in the field must be supervised by a suitably qualified and licenced person.

The 2 Classes of Electrical Contractors Licences in QLD

Electrical work licences allow you to perform electrical work for your employer. If you intend to offer electrical services to other people (e.g. as a sole trader or an electrical business), you also need to hold an electrical contractors licence.

Queensland offers two types of electrical contractor licence:


1. Electrical Contractor Licence

This is an unrestricted electrical contractor licence. It allows you to carry on a business that provides electrical services related to your trade and your work licences.


2. Restricted Electrical Contractor Licence

A restricted electrical contractor licence allows you to offer specific types of electrical work that are related to your trade. For example, a mechanical fitter that wants to replace motors for the public would need a restricted electrical contractor licence to disconnect and reconnect electrical cabling during the motor replacement.

This is the type of electrical contractor licence you’ll need if you are not a qualified electrician, but you want to offer limited electrical services to clients (such as testing and tagging, or connecting/disconnecting air conditioners).

Earn Your Restricted Electrical Work Licence With Qualifications From Get Skilled Training!

Electrical work licences aren’t just reserved for qualified electricians. They’re held by a wide variety of trades, including air conditioning technicians, test and taggers, plumbers and more.

If you need to perform some types of electrical work as part of your job, chances are you need a restricted electrical licence. You can build the skills and knowledge you need for your licence with Get Skilled Training!

Get Skilled Training is an RTO that offers training across Australia. Our programs include Cert II and Cert III in air conditioning, test and tag training, and other electrical courses.

As part of your course, you’ll learn everything you need to safely work with electrical equipment as part of your job. At the end of your course, you’ll be able to apply for an electrical work licence and expand your career.

We’re also happy to help you figure out which electrical licences you need. We have experience with all trades and electrical services, so we can point you in the right direction!

Browse our training programs online, or contact us to find out more about air conditioning or test and tag qualifications!

Explore our course catalogue online today, or contact us to find out more about our test and tag training in Australia.

Leave a Reply